We connect great candidates with great clients.
Sr. Manager, Returns Distribution Center
The Senior Manager of Returns Distribution Center leads a team of 150+ team members to process returned goods from various clients including grocery, apparel, sporting goods, and other commodities. This includes store returns and returns from online purchases. Leading this facility requires safely operating at the highest possible productivity and quality levels in a fast-paced and continuously changing environment. Constantly monitors facility safety and security to provide the most secure safe environment for employees. Communication with clients and other business partners occurs daily. The ideal candidate possesses experience in leading teams and operating forward or reverse logistics operation (e-commerce experience preferred), with proven operational savviness and sustaining a positive culture. Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
Major Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
- Responsible for maintaining a culture that is committed to safety and engages team members in promoting safe work practices
- Promotes a positive work environment that recognizes team members and creates opportunities for development
- Ownership of building security to prevent theft and keep team members safe
- Responsible for forecasting business and staffing needs and making appropriate recommendations to leadership.
- Operational decision making that ensure product is moving through the facility, throughput targets are met, and backlogs remain manageable
- Adjust forecasts based on peak seasons, onboarding of new clients, and align staffing accordingly
- Responsible for material handling equipment: equipment needs, coordinating with contractors for repair work
- Work with industrial engineers to optimize the use of space in the facility, accounting for various process requirements of clients
- Drive innovation through the development of best practices, operational and service efficiency as well as the identification of industry trends and tools that would contribute to our operational excellence goals
- Work closely with client services team to ensure client service level agreements are met
- Perform client presentations/warehouse tours.
- Maintain accurate, factual, and thorough employee performance and attendance records, and documentation of counseling/coaching exchanges.
- Contribute to employee development by providing training, coaching, and promotional opportunities.
- Work with recruiting department to maintain a steady pipeline of candidates for returns processing, and inventory management
- P&L responsibility to include management of variable expenses and identification of opportunities to reduce expenses
- Support the conversion of systems in the facility and transition of clients to new software platforms
- Identify opportunities for automation and advances in technology to improve productivity and reduce operating costs
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Supply Chain or Finance
- A minimum of 10 years’ work experience in a warehouse distribution environment and managerial/supervisory experience in the ecommerce, logistics, manufacturing warehouse industry; or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform the responsibilities of this position.
- Experience running a forward or reverse logistics operations; e-Commerce experience preferred
- Holistic understanding of supply chain management
- Proven ability to lead a team and create a positive culture
- Six Sigma certification preferred
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to delegate and prioritize work
- Working knowledge of computers and programs specific to operations and operations reporting including MS Office (Excel, MS Word)
- Knowledge of warehouse safety and security practices
- Ability to package, label, load/unload Hazardous Materials and Hazardous Waste, sign Hazardous Waste manifests, and serve the facility as an Emergency Coordinator.
- Ability to perform the functions of a hazardous waste generator, including but not limited to, identification, sorting, packaging, segregating, labeling hazardous waste generated from daily operational activities. Also, must be able to adequately perform and document periodic regulatory inspections of the facility, including but not limited to, sanitation inspections and hazardous waste storage area inspections.
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet production goals
- Ability to assist other operations within the warehouse, as needed and if applicable
- Ability to meet set production and quality goals and follow standard operating and safety procedure
- Ability to work in a non-climate-controlled environment
- Analytical and Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Effective Execution
- Taking Initiative
- Conflict Management
- Vision and Strategy
- Change Management
- Business Acumen