We connect great candidates with great clients.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As a creative, action-driven Product Manager with a passion for children’s products, you’ll report to the Director Product Development, identifying, developing, and sourcing award-winning, unique products for categories within a large product portfolio. By recognizing market and consumer trends, you will identify new opportunities and create product strategies to ensure growth and profitability for the growing omni-channel business, including D2C, 3rd party Marketplaces, and brick and mortar wholesale accounts.
With ownership of gross margin, sourcing, supply chain management, sales, and profitability, you will ensure the effective and efficient management of suppliers, contracts, and negotiations, meeting suppliers domestically and internationally. You’ll also partner with the company’s dedicated sourcing and PO management team based in Shanghai, who will work closely with you and your team to ensure success. Working across other cross-functional areas, you’ll partner most closely with teams in Marketing, Creative, PSQC/Quality, and Inventory Control.
This is a one-of-a-kind, highly entrepreneurial opportunity to significantly impact a successful, well-established company that fosters a start-up culture of creativity. You’ll nurture your passion for product development and thrive in a highly agile environment that values honesty, transparency and is free of the bureaucracy that often thwarts forward momentum.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Product Innovation and Strategy:
- Keep abreast of current industry and design trends; source and develop products internationally within designated categories that fit the brand merchandising strategy.
- Develop exclusive proprietary products with IP protection potential.
- Work with the Director Product Development to develop mid-and long-term strategies, delivering them through the Omnichannel model and ensuring sales, gross margin, and contribution objectives are met or exceeded.
- Evaluate trends within categories/sub-categories and recommend seasonal strategies.
- Manage a high volume of work, multiple priorities, and deadlines in a dynamic work environment.
- Communicate and develop partnerships with all vendors.
- Monitor and evaluate vendor performance and determine key strategic partnerships.
- Negotiate and confirm pricing, packaging, delivery, terms, and advertising with catalog vendors.
- Partner with the Shanghai sourcing office to execute development, find new suppliers, and build our partner relationships.
Product Lifecycle Management:
- Responsible for the entire product life cycle from conception and sourcing to supporting customer service and managing online reviews.
- Sample, test, and evaluate prospective new products to ensure compliance with all applicable standards; work closely with PSQC to ensure quality and safety testing conformity.
- Analyze product performance; prepare data and material for product presentation to Vice President and Merchandising Team members.
- Provide supporting materials for catalog and web design, layout, photography, and copywriting, proofing at various stages of production.
- Manage product collateral and creative work requests for all exclusive product and support needs of the creative service team.
- Collaborate with creative and marketing teams to ensure products within categories of responsibilities are marketed to planned objectives.
- Work with purchasing and QA to guarantee on-time ship dates and in-stock goals.
The requirements listed below represent the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform job function:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- A minimum of five years related experience in merchandising, purchasing, catalog pagination, web merchandising, product development, international sourcing, and manufacturing.
- Multichannel retail experience within Toy Industry is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in new product design and development is preferred.
- Understanding of market conditions as it relates to merchandising.
- Analytical Skills – Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Communication, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written – Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Negotiating – Proven record of win-win negotiations.
- Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Team Player – Ability to work within a team of performers, each skilled in her/her own specialty.
- Computer Skills – Required: Excel, Word, Publisher, Outlook; Preferred: Access; Understanding of POS systems
- Valid/current U.S. Passport; ability and willingness to travel as required.